Monday, March 1, 2010

Blurry Rock & Roll, Part One

Blur is one of my archest of enemies. It haunts many of my photographs & makes me grit my teeth in utmost anger at its nasty little habit of turning up in all the wrong pictures.

It haunts my D90 like Sting’s proverbial ghost in the machine. I take hundreds of concert photos & it never fails that about 70% of them have some sort of wispy fingertip smudges all over them. Dang-blasted irritating blur!!!!

It’s my fault, I know this. Somehow someway I have messed up a setting somewhere, causing the blur to bleed over everything in its path. It drives me F***ING NUTS!!!!


I have an affinity, as I have been told more times than I can count, for capturing that “something”. I have “an eye”, they say. I take wonderful portraits of people, capturing their personality & life. That is what I keep hearing. But for the love of Elvis, sometimes I wonder if something isn’t blurring THEIR doggone eyeballs. Jeez, what is it that they see that I cannot???

Another debate for another blog. My photographic insecurities are not what I am babbling on & on about today. Nope, its blurry rock & roll. It’s my ability to capture a great guitar face yet, time & time again, upon opening the photo on my pc, there is finger blur or hair blur or just plain old blur EVERYWHERE.

It’s pitiful that I do this. I upgraded to a D90 from a D40; & got some pretty cool glass with a f1.8 that lets in all that wonderful light when the stage is sometimes pitch-black (ask me about The Radiators one day; they didn’t seem to want ANY lights on them at all – a photographer’s nightmare). At this time in my life I can’t afford the REALLY good camera & lens. I’m fresh out of a bad marriage & thankfully I am financially getting things back together. But one day I will be able to.

So I have to do what I can do at this moment in time with what I have. I continue to take hundreds of photos, because its just what I do, in hopes to capture a few good ones that the band or the club will like & post on their websites. I practice at mostly the mechanics because I seem to get THE SHOT, just not exactly in focus. I’ve had musicians play to my camera & I’ve been practically underneath them. One photo here, half a photo there is the outcome.

Frustrating beyond all definition of the word.

But there is hope & there is light at the end of this tunnel. I have some good photographs which have received some big-time compliments. I continue to go out there every couple of weeks & shoot bands in low-light staging, earning my dues. I’m making contacts with managers & PR people, other photographers & magazine editors. I’m getting advice & instruction from professionals & everyday shooters.

And you know what? Sometimes a little blur enhances the essence of a photograph. Score one for BLUR.


Top Photograph = Josh Gillie of Jane Doe's Dead
Bottom Photograph = Devon Allman of Honeytribe

BLUR

Music Playing = Picture Me Broken

No comments:

Post a Comment