Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Anticipating Words

Okie dokie, folks, its time to get ready to start writing this article stuff. Just think, there are all kinds of magazines & online websites that need some good writing like I know I can do. I look forward to finding a little corner of the music world in which to pour out all these whimsical words that are floating all around me like rings of Saturn. Just got to grab them & paste them in all the right places.

I’ve been thinking who I could write about first. A favorite band? Or someone new? Someone just waiting to be discovered by the BIG BAD RECORD COMPANIES. I sure do know quite a few out there, busting their butts to be heard by someone who can spread their music from coast to coast to coasts far away. I’ve shot them at clubs or found them on MySpace or was turned in their direction by someone else. Doggone it, I love discovering new music. It’s just plain fabulous. Don’t you think?!!

Alright, I’m sitting here at this very moment, twiddling my thumbs. Who do I pick? So I mess around & hum & sing & listen to snippets of songs then finally go make some popcorn. I can’t decide yet. And I really-really want to. I have anticipation up the wazoo about writing again. All this energy flowing through my veins ready to pulse out. This is probably like having ADHD except it’s compartmentalized on music.

I eat some more popcorn & wait for the A-HA moment to come. Once I pick my topic I can start my research. Fun research on someone I like & admire & would love (or already have) photographed. I’m narrowing it down, Guys. I can feel it.

I check the clubs where I usually shoot to see who is playing this weekend. Hmmm …. I check my humble portfolio. Oh yea, I could do them. No-no-no, I want to do them first. But I want to do a whole segment on this band so not them yet. My dog needs to go potty so I get up to let him go frolic out in the backyard & I walk around & catch words & get giggly with excitement.

By the time I sit back down at the pc, I have an overabundance of ideas, but its time to cook supper. Jeez, supper can wait. I want to get this one figured out before I lose the buzz. The phone rings. Sorry dude, can’t talk to you about my obsession with Slash right now, I’m writing. What? You heard about a tour date? Oh my goodness gracious me. Now my mind is off on a tangent of long black curls & flaming hot guitar strings. Remind me the next time I see him to kick his ass. Total loss of concentration now. Might as well go cook some quesadillas while I’m trying to get back the vibe.

Phone rings again. My baby calling to tell me she ran this morning. She’s training for a half-marathon, in case you were wondering. She’s just an itty-bitty thing but she can now run 13.5 miles without huffing & puffing.

Stop-stop-stop!!!! I have to concentrate on getting this article started, my Dear. Call me back later.

Later turns into typing a few suggestions to look at the band names. As if that would help me any. A name is a name. I swirl the names around my tongue as if the article I am to write has sound. Man oh man. Maybe I should just put some names in a hat & whatever I pull out is who I shall write about. That’s how a reporter really works. They are GIVEN assignments to write. Ok, that sounds cool I can do that. Whoever I pull out of that hat is who I am going to write about.

Done deal. Oh man, now look at the time. I have to get up early & hit the gym & then go to my normal job. You know what this means, don’t you? More hours I have to wait until I can write this article.

Sure glad that these floodgates have opened. Otherwise what in the world would I do with all these words!!!

Maybe tomorrow the writing will begin. Did I tell you how excited I am about doing this again?

BLUR

Music Playing = Guns N Roses

No comments:

Post a Comment