Friday, February 19, 2010

Fresh Air

The other night I went out of my element & attended a performance by a violinist. Yes, you read that right. A violinist. But this was not your ordinary classical music oboe swelling event. This was David Garrett. A twenty-something rock & roll string virtuoso on a theatre stage performing in blue jeans, with a ponytail & a rockin’ back up band. He just happened to be rocking a Stradivarius.

He was quite remarkable & his rendering of Metallica’s “Nothing Else Matters” blew me away. I kid you not, this guy was out of this world. He did Queen’s “Who Wants To Live Forever”, AC/DC’s “Thunderstruck”, Jimi Hendrix’s “Little Wing”, a breathtaking “Kashmir” & “Flight Of The Bumblebee” interspersed with snippets of “Smells Like Teen Spirit”. Ahhhh, a man after my own heart.

I was seated amongst a cornucopia of people: young, old, rich, ordinary, nerdy, fashionable & even a few young girls who were swooning over David like they were swooning over someone from “Twilight”. And they all enjoyed the music.

I do have to say that its fun to step outside of your comfortable ipod playlist to discover new music. If we don’t take that chance every once in awhile how boring it would be. I mean, you’re looking at a rock & roll chick here, but boy do I love ole Wille Nelson. I love all music that carries within its soul, the blues. Good ole delta blues with the guitar sound that slips inside your soul & squirms around until you are almost euphoric. It’s a feeling, peeps. It’s a passion.

I’m glad I went to see this young German kid with the rock & roll heart & Paganini soul. He brings life to a genre that needs some punctuation to attract more young hearts as well as intrigue the older ones who look at him with a sideways glance of suspicion yet with fingers ready to pinch his cheek.


A breath of fresh air is ALWAYS a good thing. Think about it next time you’ve heard that same old song for the ten-thousandth time. Think about it when someone asks you to do something you’ve never tried before. And especially think about it when you have dreams you want to pursue but have squidgens of doubt that are holding you back from giving it your all.

See Ya Again Soon,
BLUR

Music Playing = David Garrett

No comments:

Post a Comment