Sunday, February 21, 2010

Brides & Grooms & Photography - OH MY !!!

Weddings are fun, exciting & beautiful events. If you’re sitting in the audience taking in everything all 5 senses have to offer, then you feel privileged to be here. But if you’re a wedding photographer, especially a new one in the game, it can only mean one thing = STRESS !!!!!!

You did hear me SCREAM that last word at the top of my sweet southern lungs, didn’t you? And, gosh-darn-it, I meant every syllable of it.

I love weddings, I really do. But to be the main photographer on someone’s MOST IMPORTANT DAY OF THEIR LIFE, you have to capture EVERY LITTLE MOMENT. Every single one of them. To fail at this is to fail at the job you have been hired to do. Someone trusted you to catch the special smiles & moments while they were creating those special smiles & moments. You were hired to capture what they cannot see. Over there Grandpa is whispering in Grandma’s ear while the bride & groom dance their first dance, wrapped up totally in each other. And at that very same moment, across the room, the niece is hocking a loogie in her brother’s kool-aid glass while he is in turn sticking his tongue out at the cute little girl making squishy faces at him. And let’s not forget the best man standing in the corner nervously adjusting his tie before he does his BIG toast.

Wedding photography is not just about the bride & groom. It is about capturing the special little things that go on all around them as well. Special moments like what I mentioned above. So if you really-really think about this, it will make your hair turn grey before it’s supposed to turn grey.

I went the other night with a photographer friend to a wedding that she was the “official” photographer for. I had permission from the bride to tag along & practice all I wanted. So I felt none of the pressure of being THE wedding photographer. I sat around & observed & found special moments that I recorded on my beloved Nikon’s memory card, without having to play hydra to EVERYTHING around me. I was relaxed & jovial & made little suggestions to my friend every now & then of something going on behind her that would make a good photo memory. It was fun. No pressure.

I have been THE wedding photographer on several occasions since I started back with my photography. And even though they were very satisfied & happy with the end results, I felt disappointed that the pictures weren’t better.

So seriously, is this something I REALLY want to do?

I don’t know for sure yet. Wedding photography is a photographer’s bread & butter. It’s where the money is & therefore will allow you to quit a humdrum job & open your dream studio wherever your heart desires. Once you have a few weddings under your belt then word of mouth will propel you into this longed-for career as a SERIOUS photographer.

But here is my thing: stress, & I repeat stress, is a big part of this job until it becomes second nature, which may take awhile. I am very kind-natured (that’s what they tell me. Ugh, why can’t I be a bitch without feeling guilty when I’m being a bitch) so I want to photograph everything perfect & wonderful & beautiful for them. I want them to be happy. There is no – STOP THE KISS!!!! I need to redo the shot. No no no no no. You need to get it right the one & only time you have to get it right.

You have to be able to instantly readjust settings for any lighting situation, have eyes in the back of your head, feet skills so you don’t go tripping over the aisle runner & most importantly you have to have an instinct for wedding photography.

I love portraits. I love being one-on-one with people, finding & capturing their personality. I love shooting concerts & inhaling that passion that falls from a guitar string & then actually seeing that on film. That is what I love to do. Honestly.

So am I ready to be a wedding photographer? Do I even WANT to be a wedding photographer?

BLUR


This is one of the photographs that I took at the wedding. Its ok. Not one of those take-your-breath-away photos that you see in magazines. Not by far. Just a father & daughter preparing for one of those BIG MOMENTS in life.

Music Playing = Kenny Wayne Shepherd

No comments:

Post a Comment